One such mouthwatering version is the Chicken fry piece biryani recipe. This delightful dish adds a unique twist to the traditional biryani by incorporating succulent pieces of fried chicken, enhancing the overall taste and texture.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of making this delectable Chicken Fry Piece Biryani that will leave your taste buds craving more.
What is the Chicken fry piece biryani recipe?
Chicken Fry Piece Biryani is a mouthwatering and flavorful rice dish that combines succulent pieces of fried chicken with aromatic Basmati rice, cooked with a blend of fragrant spices and herbs.
This biryani variation offers a delicious twist to traditional biryani by incorporating crispy and tender chicken pieces, making it a favorite among biryani lovers.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare Time: 2 hours (for marinating the chicken)
- Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
- Total Time: Approximately 2 hours 45 minutes
- Servings: 4
How Do You Make The Chicken fry piece biryani recipe?
Essential Ingredients For Chicken fry piece biryani recipe:
- 500 grams of Basmati rice
- 750 grams of chicken, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1 cup of yogurt
- Two large onions, thinly sliced
- Three medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- Three tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste
- Two green chilies, slit
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup of cooking oil
- 1/4 cup of ghee (clarified butter)
- Whole garam masala (3-4 cloves, two bay leaves, 2-inch cinnamon stick, 3-4 green cardamoms)
- Biryani masala powder
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Saffron strands soaked in warm milk
- Salt to taste
Instructions For The Chicken fry piece biryani recipe:
Marinating the Chicken
To infuse the chicken pieces with flavor, we need to marinate them properly. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken pieces with yogurt, half of the ginger-garlic paste, half of the biryani masala powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
Mix everything well, ensuring the chicken is coated evenly with the marinade. Cover the bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Frying the Chicken Pieces
Once the chicken is marinated, it’s time to fry the pieces perfectly. In a deep pan, heat the cooking oil over a medium flame. Add the marinated chicken pieces and fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove the fried chicken pieces and place them on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Preparing the Biryani Rice
Rinse the Basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add the whole garam masala and salt. Add the washed rice to the boiling water and cook until it’s 70% done. Drain the water and set the semi-cooked rice aside.
Layering the Biryani
Heat half of the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot and spread a layer of half-cooked rice at the bottom. Top it with a layer of fried chicken pieces, followed by sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, green chilies, mint leaves, and coriander leaves.
Sprinkle some biryani masala powder and saffron-soaked milk over the layers. Repeat the process to create another layer.
Cooking the Biryani
Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it over low heat. Let the Chicken Fry Piece Biryani cook on a low flame for about 20-25 minutes. This slow-cooking process ensures that all the flavors blend beautifully.
Garnishing and Serving
Remove the pot from the heat once the biryani is cooked to perfection. Gently fluff the rice and mix the layers without breaking the rice grains. Garnish the Chicken Fry Piece Biryani with fried onions, mint leaves, and saffron strands. Serve it hot with raita or salad (gravy) for a complete and satisfying meal.
Additional Tips For Chicken fry piece biryani recipe:
- Use Good Quality Basmati Rice: Always use high-quality Basmati rice for the best results. Its long grains and distinct aroma add a wonderful touch to the biryani.
- Pre-Soak the Rice: Soak the Basmati rice in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. This helps in achieving perfectly fluffy and separate grains.
- Select the Right Chicken Cuts: Choose bone-in chicken pieces as they add more flavor to the biryani. Thighs and drumsticks work well for this recipe.
- Control the Spice Level: Adjust the amount of red chili powder and green chilies according to your spice preference. If you prefer a milder biryani, reduce the quantity.
- Perfectly Fried Chicken: Ensure the chicken pieces are fried until golden brown and crispy. Overcooking may result in dry and tough chicken.
- Use Homemade Biryani Masala: Homemade biryani masala adds a special touch to the dish. You can make it by dry roasting and grinding whole spices like cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and bay leaves.
Precautions For Chicken fry piece Biryani recipe:
- Avoid Overcooking Rice: Avoid overcooking the Basmati rice during the initial boiling process. Cooking it to 70% ensures it will be perfectly cooked during the final stage.
- Marination Time: Give the chicken enough time to marinate, as it helps to tenderize the meat and infuse it with the flavors of the spices.
- Maintain the Right Flame: Use a low flame to avoid burning the biryani during cooking. This slow-cooking method ensures that the flavors are well absorbed.
- Even Layering: Ensure even distribution of chicken and rice while layering the biryani to maintain a balanced flavor in each serving.
- Check for Doneness: Check that the chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving. It should be tender and fully cooked without any raw parts.
- Storage and Reheating: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, add a splash of water or milk to maintain moisture.
- Personalize Your Biryani: Feel free to add your twist to the recipe by incorporating vegetables or nuts.
Nutrition facts of Chicken fry piece biryani recipes:
Note: The nutritional values mentioned above are approximate and may vary depending on specific ingredients and serving sizes.
5 Best Variations Of Chicken fry piece biryani recipe-
1. Hyderabadi Dum Biryani:
This classic variation features the dum cooking technique, where marinated chicken and partially cooked rice are layered and slow-cooked together, creating an aromatic and flavorful dish.
2. Kerala Style Biryani:
Known for its fragrant spices and coconut milk, this variation adds a touch of the Malabar region’s flavors to the biryani, resulting in a rich and compelling taste.
3. Kolkata Chicken Biryani:
Unique for its use of potatoes and boiled eggs along with the chicken, this biryani boasts a delectable combination of flavors that is sure to please.
4. Awadhi Chicken Biryani:
Hailing from the royal kitchens of Lucknow, this biryani is cooked using the ‘dum push method, ensuring a regal and rich biryani experience.
5. Mughlai Biryani:
Influenced by Mughal cuisine, this biryani incorporates an array of aromatic spices, nuts, and dried fruits, giving it a royal and indulgent touch.
The chicken fry piece biryani recipe is a healthy dish and is given due preference on many occasions. It provides glucose and protein, which helps maintain heart health. The chicken pieces used in this recipe are tender and succulent and taste delicious.
I hope you loved the Chicken fry piece biryani recipe. Give it a try at home and impress your family, friends, and colleagues by serving them all the different side dishes.
People Frequently Ask Questions
Can I use boneless chicken for this recipe?
You can use boneless chicken for the Chicken Fry Piece Biryani recipe. While bone-in chicken pieces add more flavor, the boneless chicken will also work well and cook faster.
Can I replace Basmati rice with any other variety?
While Basmati rice is traditionally used for biryanis, you can use other long-grain varieties like Jasmine rice or Sella rice. However, remember that the texture and taste may differ slightly from the authentic Basmati rice biryani.
Is Chicken Fry Piece Biryani spicy?
The level of spiciness in the Chicken Fry Piece Biryani can be adjusted according to your taste preferences. By controlling the amount of red chili powder and green chilies in the marination, you can make it mild or spicy.
Can I prepare for the marination in advance?
Absolutely! Preparing the marination in advance is a great time-saving tip. You can marinate the chicken and refrigerate it for a few hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to penetrate the chicken, resulting in a more delicious biryani.
Can I use pre-cooked rice to make this biryani?
While it is best to use partially cooked Basmati rice for the Chicken Fry Piece Biryani, you can use pre-cooked rice if you don’t have the time to cook it partially. However, remember that using pre-cooked rice may slightly alter the final texture of the biryani.