Barberton fried chicken recipe is a family recipe of fried chicken. It is first cooked in a deep fryer and then baked or barbecued in the oven. The result is a tender, crispy chicken with a deep brown colour.
The Barberton fried chicken recipe originates from Barberton, Ohio, and has been made by the same family for three generations. Barberton’s recipe for fried chicken is notable because they fry it first before baking it, resulting in a crispier crust.
What is the Barberton fried chicken recipe?
The secret to this recipe lies in its thick crust, achieved by using a particular breading method. This chicken is marinated in buttermilk before it is breaded and fried, making the meat incredibly tender.
This recipe calls for two cuts of chicken: drumsticks and breasts, which are then fried and baked together. The chicken pieces are first dipped into flour, buttermilk, egg whites, and bread crumbs before they are fried in oil (or lard).
How Long Will It Take to Prepare?
- Prepare time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- Resting time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 2
How To Make Barberton Fried Chicken Recipe?
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 pieces of chicken breasts and legs, bone-in
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Vegetable oil or lard for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Dip the chicken pieces into the flour mixture and shake off excess. Dip again into the buttermilk, then into egg whites. Finally, coat with bread crumbs, and hide all sides of each piece.
Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
In a medium-sized saucepan, add vegetable oil (or lard). Heat the oil to 325 degrees F.
Carefully add a few pieces of chicken at a time, ensuring not to crowd the pan. Fry for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (For the best results, turn the chicken pieces frequently so that they brown evenly.) Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes and set aside.
Pour the oil from the saucepan into a heatproof container. Discard the oil.
In the same saucepot, add two pieces of chicken at a time and fry in batches until each piece has attained an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. and is fried to a dark brown colour. Set aside on a wire rack to cool and drain off excess oil.
Brush the chicken with a thin layer of Dijon mustard and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is browned.
Nutrition Facts of Barberton fried chicken recipe:
|Total fat||22 g|
|Saturated fat||7 g|
|Dietary fiber||3 g|
The 7 Best variations of the Barberton fried chicken recipe:
- Instead of spraying the baking sheet with oil, put several tablespoons of butter or olive oil on the sheet. Place the breaded chicken pieces in a single layer on the sheet. Bake until they are golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- The dish can be made with fried pieces from a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- The breading can be changed to a bread crumb and milk mixture.
- Instead of using flour, you can use cornstarch instead.
- Garlic powder can be added to the flour to give it more flavour.
- Instead of buttermilk, you can use fresh lemon juice or white vinegar with half the amount of water used in the recipe for your chicken pieces after dipping them into flour first.
- Instead of frying the chicken first and then baking it, you can bake the chicken directly in the oven with a coating of oil or butter.
What are its health benefits?
- It is a low-calorie;
- It is rich in many essential nutrients such as selenium and Vitamin B complex;
- It contains niacin or vitamin B3, which helps the body to produce energy from carbohydrates, fats, and proteins;
- It also contains vitamins A, D, and E. this help maintain healthy vision and boost the immune system.
Is the Barberton fried chicken recipe healthy?
The ingredients used in this recipe are all commonly used; therefore, the Barberton fried chicken recipe is technically healthy. However, it is best to avoid deep-fried foods because excess oil can cause serious health problems.
What makes this fried chicken recipe special?
The secret lies in the buttermilk marinade, which cooks the meat to absorb most of its flavour while remaining pale and moist.
How effective is this fried chicken recipe for losing weight?
The ingredients in this recipe might act as diuretics and help lose weight. However, fried food is not considered adequate for weight loss, and if you are trying to shed pounds, it is best that you either reduce your portions or avoid fried foods altogether.
How to store Barberton fried chicken recipes? You can store fried chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for a maximum of 1 day.
Is it healthy for Children?
This fried chicken recipe is unhealthy for children as it is high in salt, fat, and cholesterol.
How do you know when it’s done?
Cook the chicken, place it on a wire rack and let it cool for a few minutes. Then use a deep fryer for cooking for about 6 minutes or until golden brown.
What do you eat with Barberton Fried Chicken Recipe?
The classic recipe usually includes mashed potatoes and green beans. But the whole meal is rounded out nicely with a side of macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, or fried okra. The feed can also be sweeter with a can of peaches or pears for dessert.
How to freeze fried chicken?
To freeze, cool the chicken to room temperature, place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container, and then freeze. When ready to eat, thaw it out in the refrigerator overnight. Then reheat it in the oven or fry at 350 degrees F until golden brown and heated through (15 minutes).
The Barberton fried chicken is not just any ordinary fried chicken recipe. It is tangy, flavorful, and delicious. This fried chicken recipe gives your traditional buttermilk-marinated fried chicken a whole new twist by adding some spicy ingredients to spice it up.
With this recipe, you can make your own hot spicy buttermilk fried chicken that fits your taste buds perfectly.
5 thoughts on “Barberton fried chicken recipe: 7 Best variations”