Karaikudi chicken curry is a spicy, tangy, and flavorful dish that originated in the Southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is commonly prepared with meat or chicken and flavoured with a mixture of red chilli pepper and a powdered spice mix.
This curry is usually served over rice. Karaikudi chicken curry has three main ingredients: curd, onion paste, and powdered spice mix.
What is the Karaikudi chicken curry?
The Karakuri chicken curry originated in the city of Karaikudi in Tamil Nadu, India. It has a delicious blend of spices and a unique texture, unlike any other curry. It is said to be a dish passed down for generations.
It is often eaten with rice, rasam, pappadam, and other south Indian dishes. A variety of spices are included in the preparation of this dish to give it its flavour and taste.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 1-2
How to Prepare Karaikudi chicken curry?
- Chicken – 1 lb.(about 3 medium size pieces)
- Tomato – 1 big(finely chopped)
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/6 tsp
- To grind:
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli pepper – 5-6 (adjust according to your spiciness)
- Garlic cloves- 2 chopped finely
- Salt as per taste
- Onion – 1 big chopped finely
- Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Oil – 3 tbsp. (or as required)
First, marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and pepper.
Fry the chicken pieces in a pan with oil till it is cooked.
Now add chopped onion to the chicken and fry until golden brown.
After some time, add chopped tomato and tamarind, and you have to wait for 5-7mins on a low flame until it starts to boil.
Now add salt to taste and garnish with coriander leaves.
Karaikudi chicken curry is ready to serve.
For better results, fry the chicken pieces on a high flame for about 10 minutes before adding onion and tomato. This step is crucial because it helps the chicken soak up the spice flavours more effectively.
Nutrition Facts of Karaikudi chicken curry:
|Total Fat||8 g.|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g.|
|Trans Fat||0 g.|
Note: The above nutritional values are approximative and may vary according to the brand of ingredients used in preparing this recipe and the actual preparation method used (cooking time and temperature, etc.).
7 Amazing serving Ideas Karaikudi chicken curry-
- Karaikudi chicken curry tastes delicious with steamed rice.
- You can add dal and vegetables to this dish to enhance its taste and flavour.
- Karaikudi chicken curry tastes excellent when served with, South Indian rasam, pappadam etc.
- Karaikudi chicken curry also goes well with chapatti, paratha, and other Indian bread like roti, naan, puri, etc.
- You can also make a Karaikudi chicken curry gravy by adding water to the leftover chicken and serving it with boiled rice.
- This dish also pairs well with drinks like beer, diet coke, rum etc.
- Karaikudi chicken curry tastes excellent even when served cold.
Note: The above five serving ideas are just a few suggestions. You can use your creativity and idea to add to this dish to make it more flavorful and tasty. As the chicken is marinated in spices, please ensure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
For those unfamiliar with coriander seeds, please note that they taste very similar to cilantro(coriander leaves). But do remember that coriander seeds are much more flavoured than cilantro.
What are the benefits of eating Karaikudi chicken curry?
- You will have an increase in immunity if you regularly eat this dish. Eating spicy food increases your body’s ability to fight against viruses and infections that affect the immune system.
- It cures a cold, cough, fever and other similar ailments.
- It relieves gastric problems.
- It also helps eliminate toxins from the body as it is fibre-rich.
- Eating spicy food can help improve your heart health, reduce cholesterol and prevent heart attacks and high blood pressure.
- Spicy food can aid digestion which is one of the most important factors for overall health and well-being.
How do make Karaikudi chicken curry taste spicy?
You can add more red chilli peppers to the dish to make it spicy. Or you can also increase the amount of chilli powder and chilli powder worldwide.
How to make Karaikudi chicken curry without onion and garlic?
If you do not want to include onion and garlic in this dish, you can replace them with freshly grated coconut. But then, it is not authentic.
How to prepare Karaikudi chicken curry in a jiffy?
You can make this dish in 30 minutes if you make the curry paste and tamarind and dry roast the spices yourself. But if you have little time to spare, you can buy readymade curry paste from the market.
Is Karaikudi chicken curry good for weight loss?
Yes, Karaikudi chicken curry is good for weight loss. It helps burn fat as it has spicy and capsaicin that boosts metabolism.
Is it Gluten free?
Yes, this dish is Gluten free.
Can I make Karaikudi chicken curry in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can easily make Karaikudi chicken curry in a slow cooker. All you have to do is follow the basic recipe and set your slow cooker for about 3-4 hours after adding all the ingredients, excluding the coriander leaves and salt, and see that your chicken is cooked thoroughly.
Is it healthy for children?
Yes, young children can eat Karaikudi chicken curry. But please ensure you do not let your children have too much spice and capsaicin in the dish.
Ghee – Ghee is clarified butter which is used in Indian cooking. Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter, so ghee is preferred over butter to fry vegetables and meats as it does not burn efficiently.
How to clean Karaikudi chicken curry?
To clean this dish well, please wipe the pan very well. It would help if you cleaned this dish properly before and after you were done with it. Even if the word is sticky, you can wash it with water or vegetable oil.
You can serve this dish with rice or Indian paratha, or other Indian bread. You can also do it with other side dishes like dal fry, Karaikudi gravy, chilli garlic chutney, chicken masala curry etc…
How to store Karaikudi chicken curry?
You can store this dish in an airtight container for about 4-5 days. For more extended storage, freeze the curry or pan-fry the leftover chicken pieces for later use.
Karaikudi chicken curry is one of the most popular and spicy chicken curries among the people of Tamil Nadu. It has a thick, spicy and robust flavour that will keep you wanting more.
This dish can be made quickly in less than an hour with simple steps. Try this recipe, and you will never get tired of Karaikudi chicken curry again.
5 thoughts on “Karaikudi chicken curry: 7 Amazing serving Ideas”