North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe is one of the famous favorites of North Carolina cuisine. In like manner, it is a mainly classic dish from here.
North Carolinians are very proud of their cuisine and have a lot of delicious dishes for visitors. North Carolina dip fried chicken is worth trying if you get the chance. It mainly consists of heavy black pepper sauce and mayonnaise.
What is the North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe?
Dipped fried chicken in North Carolina is served in the southern part of North Carolina for a long time. In like manner, when you are talking about North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe, it is usually served as a whole leg of chicken or pieces of chicken with bone.
In addition, it was also said that this food originated from the African American population and became one of the well-known dishes in the southern parts of North Carolina.
How To Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 6
How to make North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe?
Essential Ingredients For North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe:
For the chicken
- 3-pound frying chicken, cut into 8-12 serving pieces
For the flour mixture
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Three tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- One tablespoon of dried oregano
- One tablespoon of granulated garlic
- One teaspoon paprika
- One teaspoon cayenne
- One teaspoon salt
For the fry
- 4 cups peanut oil
For the dipping sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, to taste
- Two tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
Directions for North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe:
For the chicken
In the first place, you will have to prepare the chicken by cutting it into pieces and then, using paper towels, thoroughly dry chicken chunks so that the flour does not stick to them. In addition, place the loosely ground flour in a shallow dish.
For the flour mixture
Likewise, ensure you mix them well to get a uniform taste for all your chicken pieces. Add salt, pepper, oregano, granulated garlic, and paprika. Comparatively, mix well until you get the right flavors and spices combination.
As well as add the pieces of chicken to this mixture and coat them well with the spices.
For the fry
Then in a large frying pan or wok, heat oil. Once this is done, you can add the chicken pieces and fry them until they are browned on all sides. Similarly, ensure you fry them for about 2 minutes on each side.
Equally important, once this is done, remove it from the pan and drain it on paper towels.
For the dipping sauce
Additionally, mix the vinegar, hot sauce, and sugar in a bowl. Of course, mix until you get the right flavor and sweetness.
In like manner, pour your dipping sauce on top of the fried chicken and serve with some cooked rice or corn on the side.
Additional Tips for North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe:
- In addition, consider adding some cayenne pepper to this recipe for a more spicy chicken leg.
- In like manner, if you do not like the hot sauce mixture, try substituting it with honey and cider vinegar instead.
- Ensure you thoroughly coat the chicken so that the salt and spices will stick to it well.
- Make sure you fry the chicken until it is golden brown, or your family will not be able to enjoy that crispy taste.
- Ensure that there are no pieces of bones or meat left over in your chicken leg as they will stick to the batter and help it not stick to the frying pan.
- You can expect the most tender chicken leg when you use boneless chicken or use some of your leftover cooked chicken if it is too big for a single serving.
- First, ensure you do not over-mix your flour because it will make your batter too thick and might cause your chicken to clump together while frying.
Precautions For North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe:
- Always make sure you use a grill or a frying pan specifically made for frying because oil or fats can quickly get into the regular pots and pans that may cause them to break down.
- Using hot oil, use a stand to prevent yourself from getting burned.
- You should ensure you do not deep fry in a room full of people because the steam will force the hot oil out and might burn them if they are too close to the heat source.
- If you are frying chicken, always know the cooking time and do not over-fry them to avoid getting a smoky taste.
- Never try to add extra oil when frying because it will only cause you to burn your dish.
- If possible, use a timer to keep track of how much time your chicken piece has been in the pan and ensure that it is cooked well before turning off the heat source.
- If you find that your chicken is not preparing right, then make sure to check if your mixture is too dry before frying it, or else add some melted fat and flour in equal parts.
Nutrition Facts of North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe:
|Total Carbs||47 grams|
|Dietary Fiber||2 gm|
|Total fat||12 gm|
7 health benefits of North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe-
1. Healthy Heart:
Studies show that when you eat fried chicken, it is good for the heart. It is rich in calcium, which keeps the arteries healthy and lowers cholesterol levels.
2. Protection from Obesity:
The main ingredient used to prepare this North Carolina fried chicken recipe is cornstarch, a low-calorie food with no fat or cholesterol. This helps to reduce the risk of obesity in those who consume it regularly.
Everyone can benefit from diets that are low in cholesterol. It is an excellent way to prevent diabetes and keep the blood vessels healthy while eating it.
4. Proper Growth & Development:
In studies, cornstarch was found to be very good for the development of growing children because it helps to speed up their growth and proper development.
5. Removes Risk of Cancer:
People who consume fried food regularly have a significant risk of getting cancer. However, cornstarch helps keep this risk at bay and reduces it to deficient levels.
6. Proper Functioning Of The Liver:
The liver plays an essential role in the proper functioning of your body. It helps in removing toxins from it and also helps you to digest fats and carbs properly.
7. Boosts Energy Levels:
People who consume cornstarch regularly have a significant energy boost because it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibers that help you cope with daily activities quite efficiently.
An excellent recipe for homemade fried chicken can be found by following the abovementioned steps. You can use any vegetable or fruit of your choice for the gravy. You should ensure that you season it well before cooking it so that the flavors stick to it.
You can also include herbs and spices for better flavor and taste. The chicken pieces should be served with a side of gravy or any other sauces you want to add.
People Frequently ask questions
Which Is Better To Use White Or Yellow Cornstarch In North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken Recipe?
I prefer to use cornstarch instead of white flour because it has more fiber in it. You can expect the fried chicken to be very light and crispy on the outside and not sticky and chewy on the inside.
I use cornstarch because it helps add fiber to your diet, which is suitable for your energy levels and other body functions. You should also use brown sugar instead of white sugar so that the brown color keeps your dish so much more delicious.
How Should You Be Careful In Making North Carolina-Dipped Fried Chicken Recipes?
Always have a stand to keep your hand and body away from the heat. Make sure you season the chicken well before frying it so that the spices stick to it, and thus, they will become delicious while eating. When frying the chicken, ensure you do not over-fry it because it will leave a smoky flavor.
How Can I Prepare My Own North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken Recipe With Local Ingredients?
There is no need to go out of town to find the right ingredients for recipe preparation. All you have to do is buy some chicken legs, corn, and onions and get to make.
Preparing your own North Carolina dipped fried chicken recipe does not require much time. You should be ready in around 30 minutes if your ingredients are fresh. Preparing chicken legs, corn, and onion is easy once you find a good recipe and follow it religiously.
What Other Ingredients Can I Add To My North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken Recipe For Added Flavor?
You can have your own choice of ingredients to prepare this dish. All you have to do is make sure that you season it well before frying so that flavors stick to the chicken.
You can also use some dark or light beer when you fry it because it will add a great flavor to your dish, although the effects might be slightly different and depend on your choice.
Can We Fry Them In Any Other Kind Of Oil?
You can use any oil that you find best suited for your dish. Fried chicken will taste great if you use it as an everyday food.
It would help if you remembered that olive oil or coconut oil is healthier than regular vegetable oil as they are rich in healthy fats. However, you can still get the same yummy taste if you make your North Carolina dipped the fried chicken in any other kind of oil.
What Can I Serve With The North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken Recipe?
The chicken pieces should be served with a side of gravy or any other sauces you want to add. You can also have some vegetables on the side so that the taste of the chicken will be enhanced with the surrounding flavors.
How To Store North Carolina Dipped Fried Chicken Recipe?
You should remember that the chicken pieces will become spoilt if left at room temperature for a long, so you have to store them in an airtight container.
You can store your prepared dish in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator, where it will be safe from high temperatures and unexpected temperature changes.
How To Reheat Leftover Chicken?
It would help if you remembered to empty all the chicken pieces of their gravy or sauces so they can be reheated. They should also be stored in an airtight container or a plate.
To reheat it, you must ensure you do not leave it at room temperature for long. You should heat it in the microwave for about two minutes.