Guyanese curry chicken recipe is one of Guyana’s most popular and ubiquitous dishes, with many variations. Among all the versions, the one that seems to be original is said to have been brought by indentured servants from South Asia to British Guiana in the late 19th century.
The original recipe involved chicken, herbs such as coriander and cilantro, okra or potatoes, coconut milk and various spices such as black pepper and turmeric.
What is the Guyanese curry chicken recipe?
Being a spicy dish, Guyanese curry chicken is one of the best-loved dishes in Guyana. It is traditionally consumed with rice, roti or French bread as a main meal.
The Curry Chicken, often accompanied by plantains and boiled yam, is eaten in markets and during fairs. Today it is widely enjoyed by all social classes and ethnic groups.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- The intensity level of difficulty: Easy
How To Make A Guyanese curry chicken recipe?
Essential Ingredients For Guyanese curry chicken recipe:
- 1 kg bone-in chicken, cut into pieces
- Three tablespoons of curry powder
- One onion, diced
- Three garlic cloves minced
- One tablespoon of new ginger, ground
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Two potatoes, stripped and diced
- One carrot, stripped and diced
- One tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions For Guyanese curry chicken recipe:
Heat the vegetable oil over medium intensity in a huge pot or Dutch broiler.
Add the onions, garlic, ginger and sauté until the onions are clear.
Add the curry powder and mix to cover the onions and garlic.
Add the chicken and mix to cover it in the curry powder. Cook for around 5 minutes until the chicken is gently caramelized on all sides.
Add the chicken stock and heat to the point of boiling. Diminish the intensity and let the chicken stew for 20-25 minutes or until it’s completely cooked.
Add the diced potatoes and carrots and stew for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are delicate.
Add the coconut milk and mix to consolidate. Allow the curry to stew for an additional 5 minutes.
Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper however you would prefer. Serve the curry hot with rice or roti.
Additional Tips For Guyanese curry chicken recipe:
- Bone-in chicken pieces like thighs and drumsticks are ideal for this recipe as they add more flavour to the curry. Try to eliminate the skin to decrease the fat substance.
- Change the intensity however you would prefer by utilizing curry powder or adding stew peppers or hot sauce. Recall that the more extended the curry cooks, the more power will be created.
- Broiling the curry powder in hot oil for a couple of moments before adding the chicken will assist with delivering the flavors and make a more extravagant and perplexing taste.
- Adding coconut milk towards the finish of the cooking system will give the curry a rich and somewhat sweet flavour. Make a point to utilize decent-quality coconut milk for the best outcomes.
- Marinating the chicken in the curry powder and different flavours for 60 minutes, ideally short-term, will assist the flavours with forming and mixing into the chicken.
- Guyanese curry chicken is generally presented with white rice or coconut rice. You can likewise serve it with roti or naan bread.
Precautions For Guyanese curry chicken recipe:
- Consistently utilize new and top-notch fixings to set up your curry chicken. Check the lapse date of flavours, vegetables, and chicken before using them.
- Wash the chicken appropriately and handle it cautiously to forestall tainting. Cook the chicken completely to an inner temperature of 165°F (74°C) to dispense with any destructive microbes.
- The way into an extraordinary curry chicken is the equilibrium of flavours. Utilize the suggested measure of flavours referenced in the recipe or change your taste; don’t go overboard.
- Wear gloves or clean up completely after dealing with hot peppers, and try not to contact your eyes or face.
- Cooking with flavours can cause areas of strength for make that might cause bothering or breathing issues. Make a point to cook in a ventilated region to avoid medical problems.
Nutrition Facts Of Guyanese curry chicken recipe:
5 Unique Serving Ideas For Guyanese curry chicken recipe-
1. Curry Chicken Wraps:
Add some flour tortillas, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, then spoon some of the curry chicken on top. Roll up the tortilla tightly and serve it as a wrap.
2. Curry Chicken Plate of mixed greens:
Cut up some lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, and different veggies of your decision, then, at that point, top with reduced bits of curry chicken. Sprinkle with a light vinaigrette and serve.
3. Curry Chicken and Rice:
Serve the curry chicken over a bed of cushioned white rice. Add steamed vegetables like carrots, peas, or broccoli to make it a total dinner.
4. Curry Chicken Pizza:
Spread some locally acquired pizza batter with pureed tomatoes and sprinkle with cheddar. Add bits of curry chicken, cut onions, and diced tomatoes. Prepare until the hull is brilliant brown, then cut and serve.
5. Curry Chicken Tacos:
Warm up some delicate corn tortillas, add destroyed cabbage and diced tomatoes, then spoon a portion of the curry chicken. Embellish with a spot of sharp cream or some hacked cilantro.
The Guyanese curry chicken recipe represents the rich culture of Guyana as well as other parts of the Caribbean region. The taste and smell of this exotic cuisine can be enjoyed by anyone who practices this kind of cooking.
People Frequently ask questions
How Do I Make Guyanese Curry Chicken In A Slow Cooker?
You would first fry the onions, garlic and ginger until translucent. Then add the other spices and continue frying for 2 minutes on low heat. In the end, add the chicken, salt, pepper, and other ingredients. Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
How To Make Guyanese Curry Chicken In A Pressure Cooker?
You would first fry the onions, garlic and ginger until translucent. Then add the other spices and continue frying for 2 minutes on low heat. In the end, add the chicken, salt, pepper, and other ingredients except for coconut milk.
Cover with a lid and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow pressure to be released naturally. Uncover and add coconut milk. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Is Guyanese Curry Chicken Healthy?
Nothing is healthy about frying foods, and using a lot of oil will increase your fat intake significantly. The high amount of sodium in the recipe also contributes to an unhealthy diet. Cooking curry chicken without oil will result in dry chicken, so it isn’t much you can do about it as far as healthiness is concerned.
What Kind Of Spices Are In Guyanese Curry Chicken?
Curry powder – this is the essential zest utilized in the dish, and it is comprised of a mix of flavours like coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, and stew powder. Cumin – adds a warm and natural taste to the dish. Coriander – gives a somewhat sweet and citrusy flavour.
Turmeric – gives the dish its particular yellow tone and has a somewhat unpleasant, hearty taste. Ginger – adds a lively, marginally fiery flavour to the plate. Garlic – adds an impactful, exquisite flavour. Garam masala – a mix of flavours ordinarily utilized in Indian food that incorporates cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin, coriander, and dark pepper.
What Vegetables Should I Use In The Guyanese Curry Chicken Recipe?
Carrots, peas, broccoli and potatoes may be used in the Guyanese curry chicken recipe. However, you may use any vegetable of your own choice.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken Instead Of Bone-In Chicken For This Recipe?
You can. Boneless chicken is more popular in western countries. But the bone-in chicken has a much better taste. Therefore, it is recommended that you go for bone-in chicken for this recipe.
How Many Calories Are There In The Guyanese Curry Chicken Recipe?
As this recipe does not provide a calorie count, it is assumed that the dish will be prepared with no modifications. Each individual preparing this dish can modify their choice of ingredients, serving size and cooking method to tailor the word to their specific health goals.
How Long Should I Marinate The Chicken Before Cooking It?
You should marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes before cooking it. However, it is best to marinate the chicken overnight in a refrigerator to allow the flavours of this dish to blend with the chicken truly.