The jerk chicken sandwich recipe is a sweet and spicy take on the classic fried chicken sandwich. This simple meal comes together quickly with only five ingredients and is perfect for a quick weekday dinner during the week.
With just a few minutes in the kitchen, you can have your jerk-marinated chicken sandwiches ready to be enjoyed by all your friends. Enjoy this incredibly flavorful, easy-to-make recipe for jerk chicken sandwiches, and stay tuned for many more delicious recipes like this one at Thoughtful Wife.
What is the Jerk chicken sandwich recipe?
Jerk chicken sandwiches are a sweet and spicy take on the classic fried chicken sandwich. With only five ingredients, it’s easy to make this simple meal at home.
The marinade for this jerk chicken sandwich recipe combines soy sauce, lime juice, thyme, allspice, and Scotch bonnet peppers into a versatile spice blend that is perfect on any meat. Cooking the marinated chicken in a skillet will give your patty a crispy crust while leaving the inside tender and juicy.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Servings: 1-2
How to make a Jerk chicken sandwich recipe?
- 1 lb chicken breast, pounded into 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp complete seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cups Chopped cabbage
- 1/3 cup Chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp brown braising sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp jerk seasoning
Combine chicken, jerk seasoning, black pepper, and paprika in a large bowl. Mix well and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice, brown braising sauce or soy sauce, brown sugar canola oil, and all-purpose seasoning. Set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat (170 degrees C). Add chicken to the skillet; cook for 5 minutes or until golden bottom.
Flip over the chicken and cook for 3 minutes; add half the mixture with pineapple juice. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove from heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with sandwich buns, coleslaw, spicy mustard, and extra jerk seasoning if desired.
Place the steak in between two buns and top with the slaw and sauce. Toast the bun and spread it with mayonnaise. Serve immediately.
- The jerk seasoning will enhance the meat’s flavour and give it a nice red colour.
- Do not use bread crumbs to make the patties; instead, use more rice flour, cornmeal, flour, or bread crumbs to get an even texture for the pettiness, and the coating gets crispy outside and flaky inside.
- You can adjust the heat level of the jerk chicken sandwiches according to your taste; if you use scorching spicy peppers, you can use only half a pepper, and if you don’t like spice, take away all the peppers.
- You want to bake or fry your fried chicken sandwich according to your taste and preference.
Precautions For Recipes:
- Always use a high-fire oven pre-heated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for an even browning.
- Never fry or bake your chicken and vegetables together, or the vegetables will be overcooked and tasteless when the chicken is cooked.
- If you are not a fan of heat, you can use only half of the jerk citrus in the marinade so that your chicken will still be tender and juicy, but it will not pack as much punch as it would if you used all the pepper.
Nutrition Facts of Jerk chicken sandwich recipe:
7 healthy benefits of Jerk chicken sandwich recipe-
- The jerk chicken sandwich recipe provides your body with the essential amino acids.
- The jerk spice can be used on various meat and vegetables to enhance their flavours.
- The marinade helps your chicken from drying out while cooking in the skillet, and the juice from the chicken combines with the marinade for a sweet and spicy flavour combination.
- The marinade will also help with browning and crisping so that your chicken is tender, juicy, and delicious when it is ready to eat.
- The chicken is easy to thaw when frozen and will cook up fast in the skillet so you can get dinner on the table quickly.
- The jerk seasoning can be used as a rub for other meats, such as pork and fish!
- The marinade also helps tenderize tougher cuts of meat such as steak, roasts, ribs, and even tenderloin cuts of beef or chops.
What kind of meat should I use for jerk chicken?
Dark meat is best for soaking up the jerk marinade and making for a tender, moist and juicy piece of chicken when it is cooked.
You can also use breast meat if you want to, but you will want to pound it first so that it’s thin enough to cook thoroughly by the time the outside has browned.
How long does the Jerk chicken marinate?
The best way to know whether the chicken is well marinated is to taste it after two hours of marinating time; if you still find it bland, marinate it a little longer.
If you find that the chicken is already starting to lose moisture and doesn’t have much flavour left, then add another half teaspoon of the jerk seasoning.
Can I use a non-stick skillet to make Jerk Chicken Sandwich?
You can use a non-stick skillet to make the jerk chicken, but you might have to season the skillet with some oil before putting it in the jerky to help prevent sticking.
You could also coat it in flour or cornmeal before putting it in the marinade to help prevent sticking.
Is It Healthy For Children?
We have listed below the serving sizes according to our research. We have taken into account only the food items which are considered to be healthy for children.
What Is A Good Spice To Use For Jerk Chicken Without All The Added Sugar?
Try our Jerk Rub Recipe For Chicken recipe, or add some fresh thyme, oregano, and basil to the marinade. Be sure to balance the spiciness by adding brown sugar or extra honey to sweeten the taste.
How Do I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free As Well?
The only part of the recipe that contains gluten is the bun. So, if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can serve this meal with lettuce.
Is preparing a Jerk Chicken Sandwich Safe To Cook Over High Heat?
To achieve an even browning when baking or frying chicken, you need to use a high-fire oven pre-heated to 175-200 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 to 25 minutes for even browning.
How To Make A Jerk Chicken Sandwich Without The Bread?
The bread might not be necessary with this recipe. You can remove the bread from the sandwich if you would like and serve the sandwich open-faced on a plate or bowl.
What Other Type Of Meat Can I Use In Place Of The Chicken?
You can use ground beef instead of chicken in this recipe or substitute it with pork. Be sure to pound the meat, so it is thin enough to cook. If you are looking for a different type of protein, consider trying turkey either in place of the chicken or as a part of your sandwich.
Give Me Some Tips On How To Make This Dish More Delicious?
If you are looking for ways to improve the flavour of your dish, consider adding more spices, such as a few red pepper flakes for more heat or chopped fresh tomatoes.
Add mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, or even cheddar cheese to the sandwich for a delicious twist on this dish.
If you like your sandwiches with a bit of tang and extra spice, you can sprinkle some vinegar or ketchup on the sandwich before serving it.
What Other Dishes Can I Serve With Jerk Chicken?
You can serve jerk chicken with rice and peas, fried plantains, and a side salad. You can make some jerk chicken sandwiches or wraps with leftover chicken, but remember that leftover chicken will dry out a bit when it has been reheated.
If you are freezing leftovers, be sure to freeze them whole so that all the moisture is kept in by the large piece of meat.
Can I Freeze Jerk Chicken Wings Before Cooking?
You can freeze your chicken, either raw or cooked. It is possible to freeze the chicken without marinating it, but you must thaw it out and marinate it before cooking.
You can also cook the chicken first and then freeze it. For this method, you would thaw the chicken, pat it dry with paper towels, and season it as desired.
How Do I Store Jerk chicken sandwich recipe?
The best way to store this sandwich is to keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for three days or so in the fridge.
If you are looking for some excellent jerk chicken recipes, then you can’t do any better than this. This might be the first place to start if you have never tried chicken.
Jerk chicken might not be a dish everyone will enjoy, but it is a great way to show your adventurous side and make your taste buds more satiated. We hope that this recipe will be helpful to you. We love jerk chicken and hope that you do too.