The Telangana chicken fry recipe is a trendy dish in the Telangana region. It is usually served with sambar and coconut chutney over rotes or rice as a part of a vegetarian meal.
The specialty of this recipe is crispy fried chicken and the different spices used in it. This recipe is healthy and made without oil, ghee, or butter. This Telangana Chicken Fry Recipe will be your best bet if you love fried chicken.
What is the Telangana chicken fry recipe?
It is an integral part of the typical Hyderabadi cuisine. The reason is that the cuisine from this region of India consists primarily of non-vegetarian dishes.
The chicken fry recipe has also gained popularity in other parts of the country, where it’s usually called a “Chicken Masala Fry.” And many food purists believe that to be a more accurate description than any other.
How To Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4–5
How to make a Telangana chicken fry recipe?
- 1/2 kg chicken (medium size cut)
- Four tablespoon oil
- Two sprigs of curry leaves
- Two thick onion slices
- curry leaves
- 2-3 green chili
- One teaspoon of coriander powder
- One teaspoon of cumin powder
- One teaspoon of chicken masala powder
- Two teaspoons of red chili powder
- salt as required
- 1.2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- One tablespoon of tamarind water
- coriander leaves
- Three teaspoons of ginger garlic paste
- One teaspoon of black pepper
Clean the chicken and cut it into medium-sized pieces.
Heat a pan and add oil. Add onions, curry leaves, and green chilies to it. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the raw smell goes off.
Add all the spice powders, coriander powder, cumin powder, chicken masala powder, and chili powder (can be added later). Add salt as required. Mix well to coat the spices with the oil mixture.
Add the chicken pieces to the spice mixture and stir fry for 10–15 minutes. Sauté on a medium flame. Add water and cook until the chicken is tender (adjust water quantity as required).
Add tamarind water, ginger garlic paste, and black pepper powder. Stir well to mix with the spice mixture. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking until oil separates from the gravy.
Add 1/2 cup of water and cook the chicken until the spices are well coated with oil. Add the coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Serve the Telangana chicken fry recipe hot with rice or Rotes.
- You can add 1–2 tablespoons of ghee if available. I hardly ever use ghee in my recipes because I know what a great health booster it is. But, if you want to make the Telangana chicken fry recipe fat-free, use only oil instead of ghee.
- Adding the other spices, you can add 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder.
- Add 1–2 tsp of mustard seeds while cooking the chicken on medium flame. It gives an excellent flavor to the dish (not in a spicy way, though).
- You can use any chicken part to make this recipe-drumsticks give an authentic taste.
- The spice powder mix used in this recipe is an authentic Telangana chicken fry recipe. However, you can make variations by adding or removing some spices according to your taste.
- Well, this is just a Telangana chicken fry recipe. But you can apply your imagination to make many other dishes like Idle/Dose/Pakora and Chutney.
Precautions For Recipes:
- Garam masala powder tends to make the spices a bit strong. So, use a smaller quantity of that powder.
- Do not leave any half-cooked food in the hot oil for more than 4–5 minutes; otherwise, it will burn. Use immediately after it is well cooked.
- Always add water to the chicken fry recipe, and never overload it with oil.
- If you cannot add tamarind water to the recipe, make some lemon tea and add it to the curd. This will add a different flavor to the chicken fry recipe.
- Always keep an eye on the heat level of oil while cooking because high-heat oil burns quickly. You can also use electricity or a gas stove instead of a traditional stove while preparing this dish.
Nutrition Facts of Telangana chicken fry recipe:
|Saturated fat||1.5 g|
|Total cholesterol||20 mg|
7 health benefits of Telangana chicken fry recipe-
1. Healthy Heart:
The ingredients used in the Telangana chicken fry recipe are low in fat and can lower your cholesterol significantly.
2. Improves digestion:
The correct combination of spices leads to a delicious stir-fry that tastes great and can improve digestion.
3. Prevents Cancer:
This dish is made without oil and helps prevent Cancer or other related disorders without compromising on taste.
4. Stomach-related issues:
A lot of people complain about stomach-related problems. This chicken fry recipe is high in fiber, which is known to ease digestion and prevent constipation.
5. Reduces weight:
The presence of fiber in the recipe helps reduce cholesterol levels and lower fat absorption by the body, which ultimately helps you lose weight with ease.
6. Prevents colds:
The spices used are highly anti-bacterial, preventing diseases or disorders affecting the respiratory system.
The spices are known to increase an individual’s life span; hence, this dish is considered a blessing by many.
Can I add red chili powder to the Telangana chicken fry recipe?
You can add red chili powder to this recipe. You can add up to 3–4 sprigs of it. I will suggest you not add more than that because although red chili powder is good for you, it contains some amount of capsaicin (the compound that causes the burn), which can create a burning sensation in your throat.
How can I make the chicken fry recipe tastier?
I tend to add 2–3 teaspoons of ghee to the recipe. So, if you’re not used to cooking with ghee, please don’t use too much, or it will overpower the taste.
The consistency of the curry should be slightly thick and creamy. I always serve this chicken fry recipe with Rice along with Chutney. It gives a great taste and complements each other very well.
Can I add dry mint leaves before making the Telangana chicken fry recipe?
You can add dry mint leaves while making the Telangana chicken fry recipe before you heat and oil. Just add one teaspoon of it. This will create a very different taste in the dish. Dry mint leaves are healthier and do not have any amount of oil in them.
How to make a chicken fry recipe with less oil?
You can prepare the Telangana chicken fry recipe with significantly less oil. Just add some corn flour (corn starch) to the chicken pieces in the spice mixture instead of oil and then cook on a low flame.
What to do if the chicken pieces are not getting cooked properly?
If you’re cooking this chicken fry recipe on a medium flame, then the amount of time it takes to get the chicken pieces cooked is not too long-Cook for about 15 minutes on a medium flame.
If you’re using an electric stove, then the timing of this dish depends on how hot your electric stove gets. You can cook the chicken fry until it gets nice and golden brown or until it is thoroughly cooked. Every piece of chicken must get adequately cooked.
How can I make the Telangana chicken fry recipe fat-free?
To make the Telangana chicken fry recipe fat-free, you can use oil instead of ghee, like olive oil or sesame oil. You can mix some minus-variants oil into the tea powder and water mixture, but use them only after cooking.
What To Serve With The Telangana chicken fry recipe?
Rice, Chutney is a great ways to serve this dish. You can also have some plain rice or idle along with it. You can have this chicken fry with Dose/Uthappam/Vada or a pagoda.
How To Store Telangana chicken fry recipe?
You can store the chicken fry in an airtight container for at least a week or 2. This chicken fry recipe is easily stored. You can keep it in the refrigerator for about a week. You can even freeze it for about a month.
How To Reheat Leftover Chicken?
Take the chicken in a microwave-safe container and heat it at a high level for a minute. Once heated, let it sit in the microwave for another minute.
Do not stir it occasionally because chicken cooked on high heat tends to burn quickly. If you’re going to reheat leftovers on the stove, heat it up on a low flame and let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated enough.
The Telangana chicken fry recipe I have given you is delicious, spicy, and healthy. If you follow the steps thoroughly, the curry will be super delicious and aromatic.
This Telangana chicken fry recipe is not only healthy but also delicious. It can be cooked in many ways; the one I shared with you today is my favorite. I hope you enjoy it and make it for your family and friends.