Kerala chicken curry recipe is a chicken curry dish that is predominately prepared and eaten in Kerala. It is a wholesome and healthy meal served in Indian homes for decades.
I will share the recipe with you in this article while providing nutritional information on making this dish at home. Along with this, there are instructions on preparing your ingredients beforehand so that there’s no last-minute prep right before cooking.
What is the Kerala chicken curry recipe?
Kerala chicken curry recipe is a traditional dish popular all over Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka. It is one of the most favorite dishes in Indian cuisine, and it is usually served with rice, bread, or potato curry.
The chicken curry has a distinct yellowish sauce made by using fresh coconut milk and spices, making it rich in taste. The flavors and ingredients used to prepare this dish add many minerals like selenium, copper, zinc, and iron, which boosts bone strength.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 10-15 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Difficulty level: Easy
How To Make A Kerala chicken curry recipe?
Essential Ingredients For Kerala chicken curry recipe:
- 1 kg chicken, cut into little pieces
- Two onions, finely hacked
- 3-4 green chilies cut
- Two tomatoes hacked
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ginger glue
- One twig of curry leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red stew powder
- 2 tbsp slashed coriander leaves
Directions For Kerala chicken curry recipe:
Heat the coconut oil in an enormous pot or a medium-intensity kadai. Add the onions and sauté until they turn transparent.
Add ginger glue, garlic glue, green chilies, and curry leaves, and sauté.
Add the hacked tomatoes and sauté until they are delicate and soft.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red bean stew powder, and garam masala powder, and sauté until the flavors are fragrant.
Add the chicken parts of the pot and blend well in with the onion-tomato-flavor combination. Sauté the chicken for a couple of moments until it begins to brown.
Add sufficient water to cover the chicken pieces and heat the blend to boiling. Lessen the intensity and let the chicken stew for around 20-25 minutes or until it is cooked and delicate.
Add the coconut milk and salt, and blend well-stew for 5 minutes. Embellish with slashed coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
Additional Tips For Kerala chicken curry recipe:
- To a great extent, the kind of curry relies upon the newness of the fixings utilized. Make a point to use new chicken, flavors, and coconut milk for the best outcomes.
- Make your curry powder at home utilizing full flavors like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom units, and cinnamon sticks. Toast the flavors and afterward crush them into a fine powder. This will give your curry a fresher and more pleasing taste.
- Marinating the chicken in a combination of flavors, yogurt, and lemon juice for a couple of hours before cooking will assist with softening the meat and implanting it with flavor.
- For best outcomes, cook the curry over low intensity for a more drawn-out timeframe, permitting the flavors to merge and the chicken to become delicate. This will bring about a more extravagant and delightful curry.
- Taste the curry as it cooks and change the flavoring on a case-by-case basis. Add more salt, bean stew powder, or curry powder for your ideal fieriness and flavor.
Precautions For Kerala chicken curry recipe:
- Utilize new chicken, and clean it appropriately before cooking. Guarantee that the chicken is cooked thoroughly, with no pink meat or blood, to avoid any gamble of foodborne ailment.
- Kerala chicken curry is a zesty dish, so be cautious while adding the flavors. Taste as you go, and change the zest level as indicated by your inclination.
- Utilize excellent quality coconut milk, ideally new, to get the authentic taste of the curry. Shake the can a long time before opening it to guarantee that the cream and milk are very much blended.
- Utilize a neutral enhanced oil for cooking, such as vegetable or canola. Try not to utilize olive or different oils in severe areas of strength, as they might influence the dish’s flavor.
- Kerala chicken curry is a sluggish cooked dish, so be patient and permit the flavors to foster after some time. Try not to rush the cooking system, as this might influence the taste and surface of the curry.
- Store any extra curry in a hermetically sealed compartment in the cooler. Warm entirely before serving; don’t warm at least once or twice. Consume within 2-3 days.
Nutrition Facts Of Kerala chicken curry recipe:
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||4.5 g|
5 Amazing serving ideas Kerala chicken curry recipe:
1. With steamed rice:
Kerala chicken curry is customarily presented with steamed rice. You can serve it with either white rice or earthy-colored rice. Try to cook the rice ahead of time and keep it warm until prepared to do.
2. With Indian bread:
One more well-known method for serving Kerala chicken curry is with Indian bread, like naan or roti. You can either make the bread yourself or get it from a store. Warm up the bread before serving and use it to gather the curry.
3. With vegetables:
You can serve Kerala chicken curry with vegetables, like broiled cauliflower, steamed green beans, or sautéed spinach. The vegetables will add additional sustenance and variety to the dish.
4. With yogurt:
Kerala chicken curry can be boiled, so serving it with a touch of plain yogurt can assist with chilling things off. The yogurt will likewise add a rich surface to the dish.
5. With pickles:
In Kerala cooking, pickles are often filled in as a topping with zesty dishes like chicken curry. You can serve the chicken curry with a side of mango pickle, lime pickle, or another Indian pickle. The holes will add tartness and mash to the dish.
Kerala Chicken Curry is a traditional dish popular throughout Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka. It is one of the most favorite dishes in Indian cuisine, and it is usually served with rice, bread, or potato curry.
The chicken curry has a distinct yellowish sauce made by using fresh coconut milk and spices, making it rich in taste.
People Frequently ask questions
How To Make An Authentic Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
You need freshly grated coconut, coriander seeds, cumin powder, black pepper and turmeric, and fresh green chili when making this dish. So First grate the two coconuts and put them in a bowl.
Then take the prepared grated coconut in another bowl and add enough water to become a mushy consistency.
How To Make The Marinade For The Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
Marinade for chicken curry recipe is made very simply by mixing the marinated chicken with yogurt and lemon juice. You must marinate the chicken for a good period to get the authentic taste.
How To Make The Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
You need freshly grated coconut, coriander seeds, cumin powder, black pepper and turmeric, and fresh green chili when making this dish. So firstly grate the two coconuts and put them in a bowl. Then take the prepared grated coconut in another bowl and add enough water to become a mushy consistency.
How To Prepare The Kerala-Style Chicken Curry Recipe?
To make the chicken curry, take a large pan and add a little oil to it. Then fry the onions for some time. Once fried, remove the onions from the pan and add all other ingredients and a little water if required. Cover it for some time so that all the products get adequately mixed.
How To Make A Fresh And Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe?
To make this Kerala-style chicken curry authentic, you must consider every ingredient. So firstly, you need good quality coconut milk that is not hardened. Secondly, you need to add a few drops of green chili. After that, fry the onions well and add coconut milk. Finally, add the spices such as turmeric, cumin powder, and pepper powder.
What Are The Health Benefits Of The Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
This chicken curry is rich in proteins and vitamins, making it very healthy. It also provides a significant amount of fiber. The fiber present in coconut milk helps to improve digestive health. Also, curry is rich in antioxidants, making it ideal for weight loss.
In addition, the spices such as turmeric, black pepper, and cinnamon are known for their medicinal properties. This amazing Kerala-style chicken curry recipe will entice you with its taste and aroma.
Is It Healthy To Use Coconut Milk In The Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
This recipe mainly helps with weight loss diet plans, providing excellent fiber and protein. In addition, coconut milk is also known to be rich in antioxidants. This curry also benefits the cardiovascular system by reducing harmful cholesterol levels.
How To Prepare The Freshly Grated Coconut For The Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
To make this dish smooth and delicious, grate fresh coconut and add it to the recipe. You can make a small bowl of freshly grated coconut. After that, grate two coconuts so that one fresh coconut is left.
Also, in a small bowl, beat the fresh grated coconut with some milk. Then add this mixture to the curry dish every hour for about nine hours.
Which Spices Are Used In Making Kerala Chicken Curry Recipe?
Clove, cumin seeds, pepper powder, cinnamon powder, and turmeric are a few spices added to this dish for extra flavor and taste. So to make this recipe tasty and authentic, you need to add all the ingredients mentioned.