Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe is one of the recipes which you can try and make at home. This is the best way to prepare this dish; it is simple, easy, and can be made quickly. You need just a few ingredients to prepare this recipe.
These ingredients are essential; you can get them quickly in any home. This is a delicious recipe, and it is also healthy and nutritious. You can easily enjoy this dish with your children, friends, or relatives since it provides excellent flavor.
What is the Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe?
Alton Brown is a famous chef who launched his show, The browning of America. He is devoted to the diet and talks about healthy cooking on his show. There are so many food recipes that he has shared on his show. He used to share many food recipes from his collection with his followers.
The Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe is one of the delicious recipes he has shared with the viewers. This is a straightforward home dinner recipe that you can try following the steps given below.
How To Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Level: Easy
How to make an Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe?
Chicken Fried Steak:
- 3 pounds cube steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Two teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- One teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Three whole eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Chicken Fried Steak
Cut the meat into 1/2-inch thick slices. Season each piece on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Place the eggs into a separate pie pan. Dredge the meat on both sides in the flour. Tenderize the heart, using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick.
Once tenderized, dredge the meat again in the flour, followed by the egg, and finally in the flour again. Repeat with all the pieces of meat. Place the meat onto a plate and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
Fry the chicken Steak
Remove steaks to a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven. Place enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 12-inch slope-sided skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat in batches, carefully not to overcrowd the pan.
Cook each piece on both sides until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a wire rack set in a half-sheet pan and place them into the oven. Repeat until all of the meat is browned.
Add the remaining vegetable oil, or at least one tablespoon, to the pan. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of the flour left over from the dredging. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
Add the milk and thyme and whisk until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 10 minutes-season to taste, with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the gravy over the steaks.
- The flour will be sticky. Ensure the chicken steak is fully coated with the flour before dredging on both sides.
- Feel free to decrease the flour to a half cup if you prefer a drier, crunchier steak.
- You can easily make this dish into a low-calorie meal by using all-natural ingredients and reducing the amount of oil used in cooking.
- Use any kind of flour on hand; I used whole wheat pastry flour, but you may also try all-purpose flour, which has less gluten than whole wheat pastry flour and won’t give you as hard a crust.
- The particular needling device that restaurants use is a very long spike to pierce the meat and help tenderize a tough steak.
- I like seasoned salt on my chicken fried steak, but feel free to use all-purpose seasoning like garlic powder, onion powder, or ground black pepper instead.
- Dredging the chicken fried steak in flour twice ensures that it will be crispy and not greasy.
Precautions For Recipes:
- Allow the chicken to sit in the flour for 15 minutes to tenderize before dredging in the eggs.
- To make your chicken fried steak extra crispy, allow it to bake on a rack placed in a baking pan so that any excess oil forms a barrier between the meat and the pan. This will prevent the heart from over-browning but also help to create a crispier crust by allowing steam to escape during cooking.
- The chicken should be thoroughly cooked before serving, or it may dry.
- If you find that your chicken is too browned, too soft, or both by the time the gravy is done, remove it from the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes on a wire rack over a sheet pan set inside the half sheet pan for extra insulation (the gravy will probably no longer be sticking to the frame).
- When cooking chicken, you want it to be fully thawed or frozen so the meat will be easier to cut, get fully cooked, and stay tender inside the crust.
Nutrition facts of Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe:
|Total Fat||17.1 g|
|Dietary fiber||1.2 g|
|Total sugars||0.6 g|
7 Healthy benefits of Alton brown chicken fried steak recipe-
1. Diabetic Patients:
Chicken fried steak is a perfect choice for people with diabetes. It has a low amount of carbohydrates and calories. This makes it fit for diabetic patients. It also has low amounts of cholesterol and saturated fats. Chicken fried steak is made with chicken, so it is healthy for meat eaters.
2. Weight Loss:
Chicken fried steak is an excellent food to consume if you want to lose weight. It tastes good and has meager calories, fat, and carbohydrates.
3. Full Of Nutrition:
Chicken fried steak has a lot of nutrients in it. It contains carbohydrates and protein too. Chicken is also a beneficial source of minerals and vitamins like magnesium, potassium, vitamin B6, selenium, etc.
4. Bone Health:
Chicken has high amounts of calcium compared to other foods. It also contains protein, which is perfect for bone health and development, as they help develop strong bones.
5. Reduces Risk Of Heart Disease:
Chicken fried steak contains many dietary fibers, which are known to reduce the risk of heart disease. Nutritional fibers also help lower cholesterol to a certain extent, and chicken fried steak has low amounts of cholesterol.
Chicken fried steak contains more water content than other foods, so that it can hydrate you after a hard workout in the gym or at home.
7. Foods To Maintain a Healthy Urinary Tract:
Chicken fried steak has a lot of water content, making it perfect for maintaining urine and electrolyte balance. It also contains protein, which helps maintain muscle mass, and minerals like potassium, calcium, and sodium are essential in this process.
How do you cook fried steak, so it’s tender?
It would help if you used flank steak or cube steak. Cube steak is cut into thin strips, so it cooks faster and has more surface area, making it crispier than flank steak. Both are tender if cooked just right. Cube steak is easier to find in supermarkets and is also less expensive.
Cornstarch helps keep the juices in the meat, which makes it extra juicy. Don’t over-brown the heart, as this will make it chewy and hard to cut or chew.
What’s the best way to cook a frying steak?
Don’t cook a frying steak on low heat. It’s best to use medium heat for frying the steak and a heavy pan that has been well-seasoned. Use oil on the bottom of the pan and heat over medium.
Use plenty of salt and pepper to season the meat when cooking; this will build up while it is fried. Place thinly sliced pieces of meat in the pan and ensure that they do not overlap or touch each other so they can cook properly.
Do you fry steak on high or low heat?
Medium heat produces the best results for cooking a steak. The meat needs to get a good sear to be properly cooked. To avoid over-cooking, you should use thinly sliced steak pieces (cut against the grain) and cook on medium heat for about three minutes on each side.
If the knife tests are done before removing it from the light, place it back into the pan and continue cooking until the light turns red again. Remember that if you use a thicker piece of meat, it will take longer to cook.
What is the cut of meat best for chicken-fried steak?
The best cuts of meat for chicken-fried steak include top rounds, sirloin, and flank. These cuts are inexpensive but provide the best flavor. A cube steak cut is a good option too, and it is easier to find in supermarkets.
If you use a chuck roast or a tenderloin, cook the meat on low heat for a longer time (more than an hour) to become tender and juicy. If you like well-done meat, use these cuts to make a delicious chicken-fried steak.
Why do you dip chicken in milk before frying?
The milk helps tenderize the meat and adds richness to the recipe. You can substitute the milk with half water and half milk if you wish.
Does fried chicken go in flour or egg first?
In frying chicken, you should dip it in flour first and then in eggs. You can sprinkle some pepper or any spices of your choice before you drop them in flour. This will also make your fried chicken tasty; kids love this kind of chicken.
What side do dishes go with fried chicken?
Fried chicken goes well with creamier side dishes like macaroni, mashed potatoes, or rice dishes. Pickles, Cole slaw, and baked beans are good options too.
Can I use boneless skinless chicken breast instead of whole chicken?
You can use boneless skinless chicken breast instead of a whole chicken. You can also use any other cut you like. Just remember to adjust your seasonings if you use a different amount.
Can You Freeze Alton’s brown chicken fried steak recipe Leftovers?
You can freeze Alton brown chicken fried steak leftovers. Just wrap the pieces in freezer wrap and reuse them in the oven or microwave to heat up. You can also reheat it from frozen without much trouble.
Alton Brown Chicken fried steak is a delicious dish. If you want to taste the best chicken fried steak in a very healthy way, this is the perfect recipe. Just follow these steps and prepare Alton brown chicken fried steak at home for your family.