Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich is a variation of the classic Korean dish, fried chicken. It is also a twist on the traditional Southern fried chicken sandwich served with gravy and cheese (often accompanied by cole slaw).
We’ve toned down the heat slightly for this recipe by including a bonus recipe for spicy mayo. This recipe will show you how to make a fantastic sandwich that could easily be considered one of the best sandwiches in town.
What is the Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
The Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich is a variation of the classic Korean dish, fried chicken. It contrasts with the traditional Southern fried chicken sandwich with gravy and cheese (often accompanied by cole slaw).
It starts with a soft and fluffy steamed bun topped with pickled radish, melted cheese and finally slathered in spicy mayo. Frying chicken is a common technique in many Asian cuisines. Korean fried chicken differs from its American counterpart in a few key ways.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 10-15 minutes
- Making time: 25-30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 3-4 sandwiches
- Difficulty: Easy
How To Make A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
Essential Ingredients For Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
For the chicken
- Four skinless, boneless breasts of chicken
- 50 ml of cornstarch
- all-purpose flour, half a cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- One egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Oil for frying
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
For the sandwich
- Four brioche buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Four lettuce leaves, four slices of tomato
Instructions For Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
Cut the chicken bosoms into four filets each and put them away.
Cornstarch, flour, salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder are all combined in a bowl.
In a different bowl, combine the egg and buttermilk.
Plunge every chicken filet in the egg combination and coat it in the flour blend afterwards. Shake any remaining flour out.
In a deep skillet, heat the oil to a medium temperature. Approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side, fry the chicken fillets in batches until golden brown and cooked through.
The chicken fillets should be removed from the oil and placed on a wire rack to drain any remaining oil.
Combine the cornstarch, water, gochujang, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and gochujang in a small saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat until it thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Toast the brioche buns lightly before assembling the sandwich. The bottom bun should have a generous dollop of mayonnaise on it. Place a chicken fillet, a leaf of lettuce, a spoonful of the spicy Korean sauce, and a tomato slice on top. Use the top bun to cover.
With a side of extra spicy Korean sauce, serve the sandwich right away.
Additional Tips For Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
- Before searing your chicken, marinate it in a zesty sauce that will add intensity and flavour to the dish. Gochujang, a Korean-style hot pepper paste or sauce, or your blend of hot sauce, chilli powder, and other spices can be used.
- Double-fry the chicken to achieve the crispy exterior characteristic of Korean fried chicken. This means frying it to cook the meat and then again to make a flaky crust. Even when topped with sauce, this will ensure that the chicken stays crispy longer.
- A toasted, crispy bun will balance your sandwich’s texture and the heat from the chicken. The buns can be toasted in the oven or toaster until golden brown.
- Top your sandwich with pickled vegetables to cut through the richness of the chicken and add some tang to the dish. Cucumbers, radishes, and carrots in thin slices are all excellent choices.
- A creamy sauce will balance the chicken’s heat like Korean-style mayo or aioli, giving the dish some richness. You can add some gochujang or hot sauce to add even more warmth.
- Green onions that have been finely sliced are a great way to give your dish some colour and freshness. As a finishing touch, sprinkle them on top of your sandwich.
Precautions For Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
- Wear gloves or thoroughly wash your hands after working with spicy ingredients like chilli powder or hot sauce to avoid accidentally touching your eyes or other sensitive areas.
- Ensure your chicken is cooked the whole way through and arrives at an inner temperature of around 165°F (74°C) to avoid the gamble of foodborne sickness.
- To avoid inhaling smoke and fumes from the hot oil while frying the chicken, ensure that you do so in an area with adequate ventilation. You can also use an air fryer or deep fryer to cut down on smoke and oil.
- Use caution when frying the chicken to avoid splattering hot oil, which can result in severe burns. Transfer the chicken to and from the hot oil with a slotted spoon or tongs to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Make sure your guests know that the sandwich has a lot of heat, and if they think it might be too hot, give them a glass of milk or a side of yoghurt.
Nutrition Facts Of Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
|Saturated fat||2 g|
5 Best Variations Of Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich-
1. Sandwich of Spicy Korean BBQ Chicken:
Instead of a spicy marinade, use a Korean BBQ sauce and serve the chicken with pickled red onions and sliced jalapenos on top. It was filled with creamy coleslaw on toasted buns.
2. Banh Mi and Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich:
Sliced cucumbers, fresh cilantro, pickled carrots, and daikon radishes can be added to the fried chicken. Serve sriracha sauce on top of spicy mayonnaise on a baguette.
3. Sandwich with Waffles and Korean Fried Chicken:
With some sliced scallions and a spicy honey drizzle, serve the fried chicken between two waffles. For a complete meal, add sweet potato fries to the side.
4. Korean Seared Chicken Caesar Salad Sandwich:
Toss the fried chicken with romaine lettuce, croutons, and a spicy Caesar dressing after cutting it into strips. A filling and flavorful sandwich can be made by serving it on a toasted baguette.
5. Sandwich with Kimchi, Korean Fried Chicken, and Grilled Cheese:
Layer the fried chicken, spicy kimchi, and melty cheese between two slices of bread. Serve with a side of dipping sauce made in the style of Korean. Grill until the cheese is melted.
In the past few years, fried chicken has been given a variety of new twists, including Cajun styles, Korean flavours, and more.
All of these variations have helped to bring the fried chicken sandwich into its own as a moneymaker and crowd-pleaser that fits any occasion or event.
People Frequently Ask Questions
What Makes The Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich Spicy?
The Spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich is just as spicy as the traditional one thanks to the addition of gochujang, gochugaru, or chilli paste or sauce. You can also use a seasoning blend to intensify the dish’s flavour.
The fried chicken remains crispy throughout and does not become greasy due to the plenty of soy sauce in the marinade. The spiciness might be too much for some people, but there are ways to tone it down.
How Do You Make A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
The Spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich can be made by marinating it in a salty and spicy sauce, cooking it over a fire, or frying it over oil. Combining just about any of these methods is one of the best and easiest ways to make a spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich.
Marinating one or two pieces of the chicken with gochujang paste or sauce and a few garlic cloves for flavour will add some extra energy to your fried chicken.
What Traditional Korean Ingredients Are Used In A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
Gochujang, gochugaru, kimchi, sesame oil, and doenjang are traditionally Korean ingredients in the spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich. Gochujang, a mild chilli paste, can be used alone or combined with other ingredients to enhance the flavour of the fried chicken in your sandwich.
Gochugaru is a hot chilli pepper paste made from dried red chillies, garlic and salted shrimp. It needs time to develop its flavour and fully keep the heat at bay. Kimchi also enhances the spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich by giving it a tinge of sourness, especially when combined with mustard daikon radish and garlic.
How Can You Make The Chicken Crispy Without Making It Greasy?
Despite the spiciness of the sandwich, it has been made with ingredients that are good enough to eat without breaking a dash. To get the same effect without any oily residue, you must use an oil that’s as flavorful but not as spicy as your spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich.
A tasty and creamy sauce such as aioli or mayonnaise can also be drizzled over the fried chicken to give it some extra flavour.
What Type Of Bread Is Best For A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
The bread used in the spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich must be suitable for frying. Some best and best-quality bread are white wheat, sourdough, French baguette, and soft white bread.
You can get ahead of your guests by making sandwiches with a nice croissant or wrap. You can select a pasta sheet as the main ingredient to make your Asian Fried Rice Fried Chicken Sandwich.
Are There Any Variations To A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
You can mix and match the ingredients with your unique twist. For example, after frying the chicken, you can add shredded lettuce, coleslaw dressing, or some cucumber slices.
Add a delicious yoghurt-based sauce or melted sharp cheddar cheese between two slices of grilled bread to satisfy your guest’s sweet tooth.
What Side Dishes Can You Serve With A Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich?
You can serve the spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich with a side of potato or sweet potato fries or just your favourite coleslaw salad. You can also do the spicy Korean fried chicken sandwich with your choice of dipping sauce and pickles.