Are you a fan of Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken and its mouthwatering blend of spices. You can now recreate the iconic peri-peri flavor right in the comfort of your kitchen!
Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken is known for its irresistible blend of spices and the perfect balance of heat, making it a favorite among food enthusiasts worldwide. At the same time, replicating this iconic dish may seem daunting, but fear not!
In this blog post, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of making Nando’s peri-peri chicken at home.
What is the Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken?
Nandos Grill Peri Peri Chicken is a popular dish known for its spicy and flavorful marinade made with peri-peri chili peppers, garlic, herbs, and other seasonings.
The chicken is marinated in this spicy sauce and then grilled or baked to perfection, resulting in a delicious, zesty South African-Portuguese-inspired dish.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Gathering Ingredients: Approximately 10 minutes
- Marinating the Chicken: 2-24 hours (or overnight)
- Grilling or Baking the Chicken: Approximately 20-30 minutes
- Resting Time: About 5 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
How To Make Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken?
Essential Ingredients For Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken:
For the marinade
- 2-3 pounds of chicken pieces (legs, thighs, wings, or a whole chicken)
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 red chilies (adjust to your spice preference)
- One tablespoon paprika
- One teaspoon of dried oregano
- One teaspoon of dried thyme
- One teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For basting (optional)
- Extra marinade
- Two tablespoons melted butter
Essential Instructions For Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken :
Prepare the chicken
Clean and pat dry the chicken pieces. If you’re using a whole chicken, you can cut it into portions or butterfly it for even cooking.
Make the marinade
Combine garlic, red chilies, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blend until you get a smooth, thick paste. Adjust the salt and spice level to your taste.
Marinate the chicken
Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken and ensure all details are well coated.
Cover the bowl or seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours, preferably overnight. The longer the marination, the better the flavors will develop.
Prepare the grill
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (around 375-400°F/190-200°C). You can also use a grill pan or oven if you can’t access a grill.
Grill the chicken
Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off excess marinade. Save some marinade for basting (optional).
Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Using whole chicken may take longer, so use a meat thermometer to check doneness.
During the last few minutes of grilling, you can baste the chicken with some reserved marinade mixed with melted butter. This step adds an extra layer of flavor and moisture.
Once the chicken is cooked and has a nice charred appearance, please remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Serve your homemade Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken with your favorite sides, like coleslaw, grilled vegetables, or Nando’s famous peri-peri sauce.
Additional Tips for Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken:
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Whenever possible, use fresh garlic, red chilies, and lemon juice to make the marinade. Fresh ingredients will give your peri-peri chicken a more vibrant and authentic flavor.
- Adjust Spice Level: Nando’s peri-peri chicken is known for its spiciness. However, adjust the spice level to suit your taste preferences. You can use milder chili varieties or reduce the number of chilies if you prefer a less spicy version.
- Marinate Overnight: For the best flavor, marinate the chicken overnight. This allows the peri-peri marinade to penetrate the meat and infuse it with delicious flavors.
- Butterfly or Score the Chicken: If you’re using a whole chicken, consider butterflying or scoring it before marinating. This will help the marinade penetrate deeper into the meat and ensure even cooking.
- Don’t Overcook: Avoid overcooking the chicken to avoid dryness. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, and remove the chicken from the grill when it reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Baste for Extra Flavor: Basting the chicken with the reserved marinade and melted butter during grilling adds extra flavor and helps keep the chicken moist.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the cooked chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute within the meat, resulting in tender and succulent peri-peri chicken.
Precautions for Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken:
- Handling Chilies: Be cautious when handling red chilies, as they irritate skin and eyes. Wear gloves while deseeding and chopping the chilies, and avoid touching your face or eyes.
- Grill Safety: If using a grill, follow proper safety guidelines. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, and never leave the grill unattended. Ensure the grill is placed in a well-ventilated area away from flammable objects.
- Cross-Contamination: Prevent cross-contamination using separate cutting boards and utensils for raw chicken and other ingredients. Wash your hands and surfaces thoroughly after handling raw chicken.
- Internal Temperature: Ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to avoid foodborne illnesses. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
- Allergies and Dietary Restrictions: If your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions, be mindful of the ingredients used in the marinade and sides. You can make adjustments or provide alternative options to accommodate everyone’s needs.
Nutrition Facts of Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken:
|Total Fat||15 grams|
|Saturated Fat||4 grams|
|Total Carbohydrates||3 grams|
|Dietary Fiber||1 gram|
Remember that these values are mainly influenced by the chicken and the amount of oil used in the marinade.
If you’re concerned about the nutritional content, you can make some adjustments, such as using skinless chicken or reducing the marinade’s oil.
Some Best Serving Ideas ForNandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken
Peri Peri Chicken with Portuguese Rice and Grilled Vegetables
For added flavor, serve the grilled Peri Peri chicken with Portuguese rice, usually cooked with garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
Complement the dish with a medley of grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Peri Peri Chicken Burger with Spicy Coleslaw
Turn your Peri Peri chicken into a mouthwatering burger by placing a grilled chicken breast on a soft bun.
Top it with fresh lettuce, tomato slices, and a dollop of creamy coleslaw with a touch of Peri Peri sauce for an extra kick.
Peri Peri Chicken Skewers with Dipping Sauces
Thread marinated Peri Peri chicken pieces onto skewers and grill them for a fun and flavorful presentation.
Serve the skewers with dipping sauces like Peri Peri sauce, garlic aioli, and sweet chili sauce to cater to different tastes.
Peri Peri Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing
Slice the grilled Peri Peri chicken and serve it on fresh greens, such as mixed lettuce, arugula, and spinach.
Drizzle a creamy avocado dressing over the salad, made with ripe avocados, lime juice, cilantro, and a dash of Peri Peri sauce for a zesty kick.
Peri Peri Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Shred the grilled Peri Peri chicken and stuffed it into warm tortillas to create flavorful Peri Peri chicken tacos.
Top the tacos with a refreshing pineapple salsa made with diced pineapple, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
5 Best Variations of Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken:
1. Citrus Peri-Peri Chicken
Add extra zest and tanginess to the marinade by incorporating citrus flavors. Include the zest of an orange or lime and the fruit juice in the marinade. The citrusy notes will complement the peri-peri spices and give the chicken a refreshing twist.
2. Honey Peri-Peri Chicken
Add a tablespoon of honey to the marinade for sweetness. The love will caramelize during grilling, creating a slightly sticky and delightful glaze on the chicken. This variation balances the spiciness with a hint of natural sweetness.
3. Smoky Peri-Peri Chicken
Infuse a smoky flavor into the chicken using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika in the marinade. You can also consider grilling the chicken over charcoal or using a smoker to intensify the smoky aroma. The combination of smokiness and peri-peri spices will be a hit.
4. Creamy Peri-Peri Chicken
Mix a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt or sour cream into the marinade to add a creamy element. The yogurt will tenderize the chicken while providing a creamy texture and mellowing out the heat from the spices.
5. Herb-Marinated Peri-Peri Chicken
Enhance the flavor profile by incorporating fresh herbs into the marinade. Add finely chopped cilantro, parsley, or basil to the mixture. The herbs will complement the peri-peri spices and add freshness to the chicken.
Making Nandos Peri Peri Grill Chicken at home is a flavorful and rewarding experience. The key to success lies in a well-balanced peri-peri marinade, allowing the chicken to marinate for optimal flavor and grilling or baking the chicken to perfection.
Following the tips and precautions, you can create a delicious and personalized peri-peri chicken dish that will delight your taste buds.
Feel free to experiment with variations to tailor the flavors to your liking. Enjoy the mouthwatering taste of Nando’s peri-peri chicken right in the comfort of your own home!
People Frequently Ask Questions
How do I adjust the spice level in the peri-peri chicken marinade?
You can control the number of red chilies used in the marinade to adjust the spice level. Remove the seeds and membranes from the chilies before blending for a milder version. You can also use softer chili varieties or reduce the number of chilies used.
Can I bake the peri-peri chicken instead of grilling it?
Absolutely! If you don’t have access to a grill, you can bake the marinated chicken in the oven at around 400°F (200°C) until it reaches the safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
How long should I marinate the chicken for the best results?
For optimal flavor, it’s recommended to marinate the chicken for at least 2-4 hours, but preferably overnight. Longer marination allows the flavors to penetrate the meat more thoroughly.
Is it essential to butterfly or score the chicken before marinating?
While not necessary, butterflying or scoring the chicken can help the marinade penetrate deeper into the meat, resulting in more flavorful chicken.
Can I freeze the peri-peri chicken for later use?
You can freeze the marinated peri-peri chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before cooking.