The instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe is a fun and easy dish you can make quickly using ingredients readily available in your pantry. Pasta is fully cooked, so even if you aren’t familiar with the Instant Pot, this recipe is perfect for beginners.
The recipe uses boneless skinless chicken thighs because they stay moist and cook more thoroughly than chicken breasts. But any type of chicken works well, as long as it’s a cut without bone or skin like tenders or nuggets. Best of all, the dish comes together in only 20 minutes.
What is the Instant Pot crack chicken pasta recipe?
The Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe is a simple dish featuring cooked pasta and a rich sauce made primarily from cream cheese, butter, and chicken broth.
The Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe also features fresh herbs like thyme, basil, and parsley. Cooking the pasta first ensures it’s ready when you are. This way, you won’t have to cook the pasta in two stages and can add it to the instant Pot simultaneously.
The heat of the pasta is enough to heat residual liquid from your chicken thighs, so they break down and become tender after cooking.
How To Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4 servings
How to make Instant Pot crack chicken pasta recipe?
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) whole wheat pasta
- 1 pound (16 ounces) boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
- One tablespoon of minced fresh thyme or parsley leaves
- One teaspoon of minced fresh basil or parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- Three tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- Two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One tablespoon of minced fresh parsley leaves
- Eight slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
Press the “Sauté” button on the Instant Pot.
Add butter to the Pot. As soon as it melts, stir in chicken and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook, occasionally stirring, until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes.
Turn off the Instant Pot and remove the chicken using a slotted spoon; transfer to a bowl. Add cream cheese and flour to the Pot and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.
Return the sautéed chicken to the Pot, add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Close the Instant Pot lid and select the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” function; set the timer to 8 minutes. When Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release. Open the lid and stir in pasta with remaining salt and pepper until pasta is well coated in sauce.
Serve pasta with extra minced parsley.
- You can use any pasta you prefer, but I like whole-wheat pasta. It’s a hearty and filling alternative to traditional white pasta with a unique flavor that I love.
- If you don’t have any cream cheese, you could try substituting it with ricotta cheese or even cheddar cheese in this recipe instead.
- The sauce will thicken as it rests and chills in the fridge, so you may want to add more water to your pasta if it seems dry. You can also add milk to thin out the sauce if desired before serving.
- Chicken thighs are more flavorful than chicken breasts and have a nice meaty texture. If you don’t have either on hand, you can substitute with boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Instead of fresh herbs, I like to use dried ones – especially thyme. It adds more herb flavor without adding much additional effort.
- Garlic doesn’t add much flavor to this dish, so I avoid it. But if you want to use some, feel free to add one clove of minced garlic along with the butter at the beginning of the recipe.
Precautions For Recipes:
- I always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked. Instant Pot is not a universal probe, so don’t rely on the instant pot timer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked. Check with the thermometer as soon as it’s done to test for doneness.
- I prefer using boneless skinless chicken thighs because they stay moist and cook more thoroughly than pieces with bone or skin, like tenders or nuggets.
- For best results, use fresh herbs. The dried herbs may not have the same results.
- The sauce may not thicken as it rests and chills in the fridge, so you may want to add more water to your pasta if it seems dry. You can also add milk to thin out the sauce if desired before serving.
- It’s best to use unsalted butter in this recipe, but if you don’t have any on hand, use unsalted butter with a pinch of salt if needed.
Nutrition Facts of Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe:
5 Amazing serving ideas Instant Pot crack chicken pasta recipe-
1. Chicken pasta salad:
I like serving this pasta salad cold, mixing a little bit of mayo into the sauce and dressing.
2. Pasta bake:
This excellent pasta bake works best with whole wheat or durum wheat penne noodles. It’s a delicious way to use leftover chicken, and you can use whatever cheese you prefer. This dish is also great for potlucks.
3. Chicken pasta casserole:
This is a classic dinner dish, and even my picky husband loves it. You can also serve it with broccoli, steamed, and mashed potatoes.
4. Chicken pasta with sun-dried tomato pesto sauce:
This pasta is quick and easy to make, a flavorful dish packed with zinc, protein, and antioxidants. It’s an easy dinner recipe or a great lunch or dinner.
5. Chicken pasta with creamy tomato sauce:
This recipe is so good that my family likes to eat it for dinner and lunch or dinner.
Why does my dish turn dark brown?
You may find that your dish will turn dark brown when cooking with Instant Pot as it absorbs more nutrients from the sauce as it cooks. It’s not a problem; it’s just normal.
How can I make the chicken taste better?
To make the chicken taste better, you should brown it before putting it in the Instant Pot. This will add a lot of flavors. Also, if you want to replace the bread crumbs with any other binder, that is okay.
Can I use ground chicken instead of the breast in this recipe?
You can use ground chicken instead of the whole breast. The ground chicken will make your dish more flavorful, but it will not taste as wet as the entire breast. The breasts are nice and moist, so I used them in my recipe.
If you want to substitute ground chicken for the breasts but it doesn’t cook through, add some extra water to the Instant Pot before adding the breast. This should help with making sure the chicken cooks thoroughly through.
How much oil do you use in this recipe?
You don’t need a lot of oil for this chicken recipe, so I don’t suggest using too much fat. About one tablespoon is enough to keep the pasta coated. If you use more than that, then yes, you will notice it tastes less of oil when it’s done.
How much water do you put in an Instant Pot for crack chicken?
Because I like to use whole wheat pasta in this recipe, I tried using less liquid, and it didn’t work. I included the ratio of 4 cups of water per 1 cup of pasta that the instant Pot suggests, but if you don’t want to use that much water, then it’s best to use the ratio I told you.
Can I use any vegetables or herbs in this recipe?
You can use any vegetables or herbs you like for this dish. It’s always better to add more of what you want rather than less, so experiment with different vegetables or herbs to see how it works.
For those who want to add veggies, I suggest using frozen veggies because it doesn’t require any cooking, and you don’t have to worry about them overcooking in the Instant Pot.
Can I use another type of cheese?
If you don’t like cheddar cheese or prefer to use dairy-free cheese, then yes. You should be able to substitute it immediately and get the same results. You can use mozzarella, Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack with garlic powder, etc.
What To Serve With Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe?
I usually serve this dish with a side of steamed broccoli or steamed green beans. If you want to go healthy and add vegetables like zucchini, carrot, and peppers, cook them as well. You can also top the dish with avocado slices or some sliced onions.
How long does it take to cook this in the Instant Pot?
If you follow the cooking times I’ve included and don’t use less water, it will take about 10 minutes to cook the chicken thoroughly. The Instant Pot does cook the chicken faster than a stovetop or oven, so it will take less time than you would have cooked on a stovetop or in an oven.
How Do I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free As Well?
If you need to make it gluten-free, you can use any pasta you choose. You can also serve it with a delicious pesto or marinara sauce.
You can also use gluten-free bread crumbs to avoid drying the dish. But either way, it tastes delicious, and you can’t mess it up using the wrong ingredients.
How To Store Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe?
The chicken pasta can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. It will keep for up to 2 months. To freeze, cut into individual servings and transfer to freezer-safe bags or containers.
How Do I Reheat Instant pot crack chicken pasta recipe?
To reheat, add the chicken and pasta to a large skillet and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until heated. To serve, top with sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.
Crack chicken pasta is one of my favorite recipes when I want something easy and quick. It’s a simple dish but also very delicious and tastes fantastic every time.
The tasty sauce you’ll use in this dish is addictive, so I suggest making a bit extra than what the recipe requires. It’s made of so many delicious flavors, and they’re worth it.