BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe is a taste of summer. This is a hearty sandwich you can make in the winter and pretend it’s summer. It’s perfect for your barbecue party or a weekend barbeque with friends.
This recipe starts with leftover, grilled chicken chopped into bite-sized pieces, then mixed with canned corn kernels, diced tomatoes, and shredded cheese. The corn adds some sweetness to the dish, balancing well with the spicy BBQ sauce (plus, it’s an added nutritional bonus).
What is the BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe?
This is a BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe. It’s a tasty, hearty sandwich perfect for your barbecue party or a weekend barbecue with friends. At the same time, it’s an odd mixture of ingredients that don’t usually go together (corn and tomatoes together, not to mention cheese), but it works.
It’s a great way to use up leftover grilled chicken. It’s perfect for those hot summer days when you are too hot to cook and want something different than the usual cold salads.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Difficulty level: Easy
How to make a BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe?
Essential Ingredients For BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe:
- Two shredded or diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Two tablespoons honey mustard
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- Two tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Four sandwich rolls
- Lettuce leaves
Instructions For BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe:
Shred the chicken and combine it with the BBQ sauce in a mixing bowl. Blend well.
Combine the mayonnaise, honey mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
Stir the chicken mixture with the dressing until it is coated. Diced red onion, chopped celery, and chopped parsley should be included. Mix again by stirring.
Place a leaf of lettuce on the bottom half of each sandwich roll after slicing it in half. Place the chicken salad mixture on the leaves of the lettuce.
The top half of the rolls should cover the sandwiches. Serve right away, and enjoy!
Additional Tips For BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe:
- You can improve the texture and flavour of your sandwich by using freshly cooked chicken.
- You can use canned, rotisserie, or leftover grilled chicken as a shortcut.
- The chicken salad can also be made with additional ingredients like shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, or chopped bacon.
- Add some hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dressing or the BBQ sauce for a spicier sandwich.
- To give the sandwich a little crunch and warmth, toast the rolls before assembling them.
- Keep the dressing and the chicken salad mixture separate until you are ready to eat the sandwich if you are packing it for a picnic or lunch. This will prevent the bread from becoming soggy.
- Pair the BBQ chicken salad sandwich with potato chips or cole slaw for a tasty meal.
Precautions For BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe:
- You can also combine the ingredients before you assemble the sandwich. However, you must ensure that everything is blended well, so it does not turn soggy when served.
- Do not add liquid to the chicken salad mixture if you use canned or cooked chicken because it will turn into the soup when stored in a container, making your sandwich soggy and undrinkable.
- The best way to store the sandwich is to leave it whole and place the lid of your container on top. When you are ready for a second meal, slice the end piece off (the part touching the inside of the container) and use it.
- The salad can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to three days. You can freeze any extra portions in a freezer bag, so you always have a quick lunch or dinner.
- When ready to serve the sandwich, slice each end piece off your sandwich roll.
- You can add barbecue sauce to the mayonnaise for a spicier chicken salad.
- You can choose not to include the shredded cheese in your chicken salad because it is optional, and you can use any cheese instead (mozzarella is usually used in vegan recipes).
Nutrition Facts Of BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe:
5 best variations of BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe
1. Sandwich with BBQ Chicken Salad:
BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, diced red onion, chopped celery, chopped parsley, and a little salt and pepper should all be included. Toast some bread, spread some mayo on each cut, and afterwards top with the chicken serving of mixed greens.
2. Sandwich with Southwestern BBQ Chicken Salad:
BBQ sauce, avocado, diced red onion, cilantro, lime juice, a little salt and pepper, and cooked chicken are all you need to make this dish. Toast some bread, spread chipotle mayonnaise on each slice, and then layer the chicken salad.
3. Sandwich with Greek BBQ Chicken Salad:
Consolidate cleaved cooked chicken with bar-b-que sauce, feta cheddar, diced red onion, slashed cucumber, hacked tomato, cleaved olives, and salt and pepper. Toast some bread spread some tzatziki sauce on each slice, and then spread the chicken salad on top.
4. Sandwich with Asian BBQ Chicken Salad:
Cooked chicken, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, grated ginger, chopped scallions, and a little salt and pepper are all you need to make this dish. Toast some bread, spread sriracha mayonnaise on each slice, and then layer the chicken salad.
5. Sandwich with Caesar BBQ Chicken Salad:
Combine chopped cooked chicken, BBQ sauce, Caesar dressing, grated parmesan, chopped romaine lettuce, and chopped chicken with a bit of salt and pepper. Toast some bread, spread some Caesar dressing on each cut, and afterwards top with the chicken serving of mixed greens.
BBQ chicken salad is a delicious combination of different ingredients that you can use for lunch or dinner. You can make a big batch of chicken salad and store it in the refrigerator for a few days to have a leisurely meal on hand at all times.
This is an easy recipe that everyone will love. The BBQ chicken salad sandwich recipe contains all great ingredients, such as BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, shredded cheese, diced red onion, chopped celery, chopped parsley and more.
People Frequently Ask Questions
What ingredients do I need to make a BBQ chicken salad sandwich?
To make the best BBQ chicken salad sandwich, you need the following ingredients: Shredded or diced cooked chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, honey mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste, diced red onion, chopped celery, chopped fresh parsley, sandwich rolls, Lettuce leaves.
How Often Do I Need To Make A BBQ Chicken Salad?
You can make the sandwich with the ingredients every day! Sometimes we have leftover chicken from previous meals, which we can add to this recipe. You don’t have to have all the fresh ingredients if you have your leftovers in the refrigerator.
What Type Of Bread Works Best For A BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich?
You can use any bread. You don’t need to use any special bread, but you must make sure it is sliced accurately and thin enough so that the other ingredients do not get soggy. If you have a preferred type of bread, then go for it! Just make sure that the bread is thin enough.
What Toppings Can I Add To My BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich?
You can add any favourite toppings that you find delicious. Some other ingredients you can use are tomato slices, sliced cucumber, dill pickles, bell pepper slices, grated mozzarella cheese, and more.
Can I Make This Recipe Vegetarian Or Vegan?
Absolutely! Remove the chicken and add your favourite protein to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan. For example, you can use tempeh instead of chicken. Another option is to skip the protein entirely and make a vegetarian salad.
Can You Make A BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich Without Mayonnaise?
Of course, you can. To create a lighter sandwich, you can eliminate the mayonnaise or switch to a healthier alternative (such as Greek yoghurt). However, I must tell you that the mayonnaise helps to cool off the spice from BBQ sauce, which is why it is so good for this recipe.
Do I Have To Toast My Bread For A BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich?
There are many ways that you can serve this dish. However, toasting your bread does make a big difference in taste. You can spread the bread with mayo and chicken salad and then place it on the bread. It is a tasty approach that is not only nutritious but also very easy to make.
Can I Store A BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich In The Freezer?
You can undoubtedly freeze any extra portions that you have. To do so, wrap some of your sandwiches in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag. When you are ready for lunch or dinner, take out as many sandwiches as you need and defrost them in the refrigerator overnight.
Can I Add Bacon To The BBQ Chicken Salad Sandwich?
Many people would love to add bacon to this homemade sandwich. However, I do not recommend adding it because it may take away from the flavour of the BBQ sauce. Instead, you can place a piece of lettuce over the bacon slice and then place the rest of your ingredients on top.