Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe is one of the best-known Southern recipes. Buttermilk fried chicken is a perfect dish to serve on a buffet or during Sunday dinner.
It’s easy to make, and you can also use some different herbs or spices depending on what your taste buds are in the mood for. Many people have their version of this recipe, but below is my favorite, and I hope yours will be too.
What is Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe?
Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe is a Southern fried chicken dish that has the best taste with dark meat. The chicken is seasoned with salt and pepper, dredged in flour, and then into buttermilk before deep-frying.
There is no better taste than this if you are a fried chicken lover, and if you are looking for the best Southern recipes, it’s one of them.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
- Prepare time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4 people
How to make Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe?
Essential Ingredients For Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe:
- Four skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Two tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
For coating chicken with flour
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Directions For Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe:
Mix all ingredients (buttermilk, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and garlic powder) in a bowl.
Purchase the chicken drumsticks and marinate them by filling them with buttermilk. Cover it and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
Prepare the flour
Add salt, pepper, sage, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder into a bowl. Mix it with ½ cup flour.
Prepare the coating for deep frying by mixing 1 ½ cups flour with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ⅛ teaspoon sage, ⅛ teaspoon thyme, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon onion powder.
Fry the chicken
Fill the pressure cooker with ½ inch of vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celcius. Alternatively, you can fry them in a pan or microwave, but the result will not be as crispy as it usually is.
Coat drumsticks with flour mixture and place them into the hot oil.
Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until drumsticks is golden brown and crispy outside.
Serve with fries or potato salad. For the best taste, eat it hot. Enjoy!
Additional Tips For Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe:
- You can also make this recipe in the oven by baking them. Just coat them with the flour mixture and bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 230 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes on each side (the chicken is ready when it turns golden brown).
- There are many alternatives for this recipe, if you don’t like sage or thyme, you can use oregano or basil, but it won’t be as good as the original version.
- You can also marinate the chicken for several hours or even overnight if you wish to; just make sure not to over-marinate it, as the chicken can get too soggy and mushy.
- You can also make your flour instead of using a purchased one. Just mix some cornstarch and plain flour. No spice is necessary. You can also use some paprika to give it a bit more color.
- There are many ways to make the coating that you can choose, such as dipping them in egg and then into the coating mixture, or you can even just coat them in bread crumbs and fry them like that.
- When you cook them in a pan or microwave (without coating them in flour), ensure that the oil is hot enough or won’t be as crispy as it should be. You can try cooking them egg style if you are not going to fry them for a healthier option.
Precautions For Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe:
- Because drumsticks are more significant than chicken breasts, you might want to cut them in half or even thirds and make sure that they are all about the same size so that they will cook simultaneously.
- If you are using a microwave for cooking your chicken, then for best results, use a whole chicken or chicken legs without skin.
- Seasoning is essential when cooking fried chicken; it gives it a nice flavor and makes the meat tender and juicy.
- If you are out of buttermilk, you can use plain yogurt in its place; just make sure it is thick.
- When cooking chicken drumsticks in an oven, you might want to turn them once or twice so that they cook evenly on both sides.
- If you’re not going to use all the flour for coating the chicken, then be sure to put it in an air-proof container or bag and keep it stored until needed; otherwise, it will go stale very quickly and become unusable.
Nutrition facts of Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe:
7 healthy benefits of Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe-
1. Healthy Heart:
The ingredients for Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe are healthy and give your body antioxidants and nutrients.
2. Healthy Skin:
The vitamin A in this chicken recipe is good for your skin; it can prevent skin cancer and gives you a healthy glow.
3. Healthy Bones:
There are many minerals found in chicken, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, and zinc, which are suitable for bone health, giving it strength to keep the bones healthy and protect them from damage.
4. Healthy Brain:
Eating chicken soup with ingredients like sage, thyme, and garlic has been shown to boost concentration and help brain function.
5. Healthy Nerves:
The vitamin B6 found in chicken is good for nerve health, helping to relieve tension and calming down the body.
6. Healthy Weight:
Chicken breast is low in fat, yet it is high in protein which helps to keep your stomach feeling full for longer, so it will help you avoid snacking between meals.
7. No Artificial Ingredients:
The ingredients in Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe are all healthy ingredients that have been used for generations and have never been altered.
Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken recipe is a healthy alternative to your usual fried chicken and has been used for generations. It is straightforward to make and requires only a few ingredients that are easy to find at home.
People Frequently ask questions
What Is The Best Flour To Use For Coating Chicken?
Several types of flour can be used to coat chicken; some prefer adding a little white flour or cornstarch with their standard flour mixture, while others prefer using only cornstarch. A good amount of cornstarch should be used when coating the chicken.
However, the wheat flour should not be too much as it will make the coating stick together and not let it soak into the meat.
What Is The Best Way To Make A Flour Mixture For Coating Chicken?
There are usually several different ways people make the flour mixture when coating their chicken; some use a wet method where the chicken is dipped into the egg and then coated in flour, while others prefer using regular flour in combination with cornstarch.
The best flour to use would probably be all-purpose flour or plain wheat flour, as they will give you the crispiest coating possible and act as a binder.
What Is The Best Type Of Oil To Use For Frying?
Several different oils can be used, and they all have advantages and disadvantages. The most commonly used oil to fry chicken is peanut oil, as it has a good flavor and doesn’t take a very long time to cook; however, if you are going to fry your chicken deep, then it is suggested that you use light olive oil or vegetable oil.
What Temperature Do You Cook Your Fried Chicken At?
The temperature at which a person cooks their food depends on their likes and preferences and how they want the food to taste. The most common cooking temperatures are between 350 F and 400 F.
How Do You Keep Fried Chicken Crispy And Juicy?
The secret to making fried chicken crispy and juicy simultaneously is that it should be cooked at a high temperature and for a short time. The chicken needs to be cooked at a high temperature because as the oil heats up, it becomes less dense, and thus an excellent way for it to be distributed evenly throughout the meat.
Also, by cooking the chicken at higher temperatures, you will not have to keep turning down your heat, as opposed to when it is cooked more slowly.
How Do You Keep The Fried Chicken From Becoming Dry?
The best way to ensure that your fried chicken does not become dry is to ensure that you do not overcook it, as this will cause the meat to become dry and rubbery.
The other important thing is to ensure that your chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving it, especially if you are storing it in an airtight container so that it will stay fresh longer.
How Do You Make Fried Chicken Crispy Without Deep Frying It?
You can make your fried chicken crispy without deep frying it in several ways. If you want to substitute the oil for another form of fat, such as butter or vegetable oil, you can pull back the chicken’s skin and cook it in this oil.
How To Store One Leftover Grandma’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe?
To store leftover fried chicken in the best way possible, you should ensure that you take care of it as soon as it is cooked. For example, if you are going to use it for a different recipe, leave the chicken in an airtight container and make sure that it is placed in the fridge until required.
How Do I Reheat Grandma’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe?
The best way to reheat fried chicken is in a frying pan over medium heat. You should place the chicken onto a flameproof plate and cover it with foil.
Make sure to turn the heat down slightly if your frying pan gets too hot so the meat does not burn. Also, ensure that you thoroughly reheat the chicken; otherwise, it may become rubbery.